We aim to regularly update our list of all the upcoming Post-16 provider open evenings and events, so that students and parents/carers alike can make decisions about courses being taken at Outwood Academy Bydales, and beyond. If you are a college provider and we have missed a date, please email Mrs Kaya, Consequences Manager who leads our Careers and Post-16 provision, or Mrs Wing, LRC Librarian.
Students can ask questions and get support with CVs, help with application form completion for college, collect prospectuses for colleges and apprenticeship providers and research courses for after GCSEs. We also aim to run ‘Careers Information Sessions’ occasionally in theses sessions, often in partnership with Post-16 providers and increasingly with employer partners and alumni in particular career sectors. Sessions are focussed on career choices around particular subjects that students may be interested in pursuing after post-16 and post-18 education. For more details speak to Mrs Wing (in the LRC).
These are shown below for reference on what was offered last year. An updated version for 2017-2018 will appear shortly.
Each month, we are grateful for our partner Post-16 Colleges and Apprenticeship providers, who man stands during one lunchtime on a Wednesday, to promote choices beyond GCSE, answer questions and inspire our student for their next steps. For parents, the timetable is below, if you want your son/daughter to pick up particular information.
The careers education and guidance programme at Outwood Academy Bydales seeks to positively support you to acquire the educational, social and employability skills necessary for lifelong success in a diverse and changing world of work.
We are currently working with the following provider:
CareersInc is a support service for young people that provides advice, guidance, support and personal development services for all 13-19 year olds.
As a student at Outwood Academy Bydales you are entitled to a careers education and guidance programme which:
• is personal to you and always puts your interests first
• motivates and inspires you to consider all opportunities beyond Outwood Academy Bydales
• helps you to gain the skills you need to make your career ambitions a reality
• provides the support you need to be successful
• helps you access any additional support you might need
• is delivered by trained and qualified teachers and advisers, with up-to-date knowledge and
• understanding of career pathways and local labour market information
• protects and respects your personal information and shares it only with your consent
Together with staff from CareersInc we will support your career development in a number of ways including:
• information and discussion in lessons and assemblies to help you make decisions about your future
• activities and events such as careers fairs
• access to career advisers in a variety of ways including individual meetings, Careers Club Enrichment (open to all year groups – Mondays 2:30-3:30pm) lunchtime drop-in sessions (open to all year groups Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday), learning pathway planning and results days
• careers information and IT based careers programmes
• information and updates on notice boards, plasma screens and websites
• providing access to detailed information and resources to take away on various jobs, colleges, training providers and Universities through our Careers Corner in the LRC Library
Andy Veale (CareersInc) email@example.com
Megan Grimley (CareersInc) firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs Kaya (Consequences Manager)
Mrs Waites (Associate Assistant Headteacher)
Here are links to useful online Careers advice resources:
We are currently looking to make contact with former students to support our current students with their career planning and act as ‘Career Champions’ at various events and sessions we hold throughout the academic year. We are also keen to promote around the academy example of careers alumni of Bydales have moved into, with photographs and biographies. If you are a former student and would like to become involved with the Academy as a ‘Career Champion’, or share info for display, please contact us via this email address: email@example.com
You can also share your Post-16 and Careers path as an Alumni with us, and give an indication of whether you might be able to spare us an hour, once a year or so, to promote your careers (or business!) and inspire current students here: Alumni Information Share